TEN Reasons Why Mentoring Works!
Mentors provide AMAZING value to individuals who have an aspiration to improve themselves or achieve something great (or even just a bit better).
BUT how do you know if YOU need a mentor or if you will benefit from mentoring?
Over the past five years, there has been a rapid increase in the demand for mentors.
The demand has been driven by a few factors;
- Traditional training programs only help you so far: Training programs provide you with the necessary skills and tools, but they don’t offer the guidance, interaction, or support to keep you focused and on track.
- Growing your career has become harder! Individuals who want to improve their career struggle to plan the necessary steps required to secure those positions.
- Entrepreneurs and start-up growth. Competition in the start-up segment is extremely tough with a large portion failing each year. Entrepreneurs need cross-company knowledge and skills to help them make the right decisions
Mentoring, and also coaching for professional development, has now become an integral part of aspiring individuals who want to better themselves.
Mentoring is used by successful executives, athletes, sports teams, and also individuals who are seeking a career or lifestyle change. Quality mentors and coaches can help them to plan and achieve their goals.
Most of us have friends, colleagues, and family members who they can turn to for some inspirational advice. This provides a great source of motivation, BUT it lacks the experience, structure, and support of a professional mentoring program.
What makes a GREAT Mentoring Program?
Mentoring programs which are facilitated correctly can provide you with the following;
- Motivation and inspiration
- Structured process and framework
- Various tools and templates
- Coaching services for skills development
- Ongoing support to keep you focused and on track!
For your mentoring investment, you should be provided with a regular meet-up (face-to-face or remote via Skype) and a documented summary of each session so you can keep track of the discussion topics and agreed tasks or actions.
To help persuade you into engaging a mentor, I’ve put together 10 reasons why mentoring really does work!
Why Mentoring Works!
- They help you to define your goals and ambitions.
- Help you to identify and resolve the barriers which are stopping you from reaching your potential.
- Define your career path and the various steps you need to take to get there.
- Promote the exchange of ideas and provide you with answers to your questions.
- Bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise and can help you to connect with various subject matter experts.
- Praise your accomplishments and provide you with constructive feedback.
- Challenge you to step outside your boundaries and to push yourself.
- Encourage you to develop new skills to overcome your weaknesses.
- Become your personal brand ambassador, and are passionate about your success.
- They keep you focused and on track.
Mentors and coaching when used well, can offer the best path to career and professional development success.
The benefits that you can gain from a good mentor relationship will far outweigh any skills training, natural ability, or even luck!
The key is to have the foresight and humility to ask to be mentored. If you start there, you’ll find that there are plenty of accelerators in your life who can add value, and help you to be your best version.
Need some help?
Robert Durrant provides high-performance mentoring, coaching and skill development services to help you set and achieve your personal and professional goals.
To learn more about the mentoring and coaching services available from Robert Durrant, please visit our Mentor Programs or Coaching Services page or call 03 9429-2293 or email email@example.com